Sunday, March 05, 2006

My first 10K

3/4/06 SATURDAY The Dole Great Race of Agoura Hills at Agoura High School Stadium. I was really nervous about this run, I'm not sure why as we have been doing more mileage during training. We got up at 5:15am and we were out of the house before 6am. It was very cold outside. When we got there we got in line and got my packet, my goodie bag and my t-shirt. Then to my surprise I saw April with Bucket. OMG I felt so much better when I saw them. We put our chips onto our shoes; the chips are used to time your race. Michael helped me put my number on my jersey. We then hung out at the Team in Training booth for a while. April signed up for Team in Training, I'm so proud of her. We hung out and had some fruit and took some pictures. Bucket has been trying to go by her real name Susan when we are TNT but April kind a let the name slip out of the bucket so to say!!! Tim started introducing her to everyone as Bucket...April was sorry, but I guess Bucket is just going to stick.... We headed up to the start line and I had butterflies in my stomach. We stretched out and had a little team rally. We listened to the Star Spangled banner that gave me goose bumps. I hear runners set and I can't remember if a gun went off or if a horn sounded, the next thing I know is we are running.... OMG I am running.... yup I'm crazy.... we started down hill so that was a little nice. As we are running it is silent except for sound of sneakers hitting the pavement it was such an amazing sound. It was so awesome to see people outside of their houses cheering us on, cars were beeping their horns at us you would have thought a wedding was taking place on the corner, Starbucks employees were outside supporting us. The first mile wasn't that bad, I did have to pull back and find my pace witch meant being out there by myself which is ok because I can't talk while I run. I tried to do the 3R2W but I didn't have a timer. I was feeling really good at the 2-mile mark. There was a photographer at the 2-mile mark, can't wait t see that photo! From the 2 to 3 mile mark we went up behind the stadium and I called Michael at 9:07 to tell him I was back there so he could get photos but he didn't answer his phone. I left him a message, which was great because I got to listen to myself out of breath running up a hill. After the 3 mile I called Michael "I'm half way" he says what "I'm half way love you bye" mark it was so beautiful out there it was wonderful being in the country. Running along side a brook, the water clear as day. Reminded me of my grandparent’s creek back home in Connecticut. The houses out here are so beautiful. Running across the one lane bridge and the support staff reminding me to smile, do they know I just ran 3 miles and I am closing in on mile 4? Ok so I smiled, for a second, back to concentrating and running. There is the most beautiful tree, it was so huge and I just wanted to sit there and enjoy the nature around me but as we all know that is not why I was out here. The horses and the farms, the sounds of a peaceful environment oh man I sure miss the country! My heart longs for being in the country more often. Approaching mile 4 and my legs are like Jell-O, time to walk so a very brisk walk I forge on. Hills who thought of hills now!!! Well the hill wasn't that bad, but try going down hill with J E L L O Legs!!! Not fun, so I think well if I run I can get down faster, not really you use a lot of energy trying to not go to fast. At the bottom back to running, nope back to walking I am cooked. Coming around a bend I think I will go to the inside shorter right yes, but my feet were at a bad incline and I really hurt my arch on my right foot, so I decided to go back to the other side of the street. Round another bend and there is a support member last mile, oh I can hear the music in the stadium. I call Michael, I can here music oh and I can see the stadium. I want to run again, but the trail is dirt and muddy, never ran on this before, maybe today’s not a good day to start, so I err on caution and walk really fast, yes using my arms. Michael spots me on the hill and he takes a photo of me. I see them they wave I wave, I wave again. I am so happy to see them and so glad this is almost over. As I get to the bottom of the hill I hear my wedding song on the speakers and I get goose bumps everywhere. The ones who love me are waiting and they are proud of me. Thanks Adam for requesting the DJ to play my wedding song. I round the corner and I see Michael, he is taking pictures of me. I see the boys they are waving to me. Adam runs beside me on the track and I tell him come on run with me so Adam runs the track lap with me we see Bucket and April and they cheer me on. Adam steps off the track just before the time mats. I DID IT!!!!! I ran my first 10K!!!!!! I go the fence were Michael is standing and this is surreal. I'm thirsty, tired, and sweaty. Every time I try to stand still I almost fall over my body doesn't want to stop, it takes a while be for I can just stay in one spot. Michael tells me he is so proud of me. I'm proud of me!!!!







MY STATS 3/4/2006 Agoura CA

The Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K

Bib: 3570

Name: Crystle Torvinen

Gender: F

Age: 34

Hometown: Burbank CA

Place Overall: 623 out of 650

Women: 344 out of 365

F 30-34: 58 out of 59

AgeGrade: 30.92% Place: 630

FINISH: 1:36:13 pace: 15:29

Chip Time: 1:36:13

Gun Time: 1:36:33


No comments: